Twelve exceptional student leaders of color will be selected to conduct a comparative study of social justice leadership in America, South Africa, and Ireland.
During the four-week summer program, Fellows will travel to Washington, DC, Cape Town, Dublin, Derry, and Belfast to explore the legacies of Frederick Douglass, Abraham Lincoln, John Lewis, Nelson Mandela, Bishop Desmond Tutu, Daniel O’Connell, John Hume, and other giants of social change.
The program pays tribute to Frederick Douglass’ transformative experience visiting Ireland more than 175 years ago. Douglass was embraced by the Irish people and met the famous Irish reformer Daniel O’Connell who expanded Douglass’ view of social injustice and influenced his style of agitating for positive social change through non-violent social and political efforts. The Government of Ireland is again sponsoring the 2023 Fellows in celebration of this historic meeting and Ireland’s commitment to social justice and peace building.
The program runs July 7 – August 4, 2023, with the first week taught virtually and the next three weeks taught on-site.?Fellows will study how changemakers shaped pathways to peace, including the Emancipation Proclamation in America, the end of Apartheid in South Africa, and the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland.
They will return home inspired to use their leadership skills to create a more just and peaceful world.
Washington, DC, Cape Town, Dublin, Derry, and Belfast
THE AWARD COVERS THE FULL COST OF TRAVEL,
housing, program field trips, and participation in a four-week summer study abroad course taught by CIEE.
3 credits accredited by Tulane University, if accepted by your home institution.
- Be a current undergraduate freshman, sophomore or junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.3
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (e.g. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
- Submit a complete application no later than February 14
- Award will cover the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Twelve (12) will be selected.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.Contact Us
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer||2023||03/25/2023 **||Rolling Admission||07/07/2023||08/04/2023|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.