The Intern Group:
U.S. Internships for International Students (OPT, CPT)
Combine a career-accelerating internship with a rewarding international experience
About The Intern Group (TIG)
The Intern Group is the leading provider of international internship programs, abroad and online. We partner with over 3,000 host organizations, from entrepreneurial startups, to large multinational companies, nonprofit organizations and government agencies. Our hands-on roles will give you relevant experience, which is vital in today’s job market, allowing you to gain important insight into your industry on a global scale.
U.S. Internship Program for International Students
As an international student in the U.S., you may be eligible to participate in an Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experience. These programs help students and recent graduates gain valuable hands-on experience in U.S. companies and organizations. The Intern Group can help you secure an internship directly related to your area of study in Computer Science or in Business (including Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Marketing.)
Our Independent Traveler Internship Program
has everything you need to boost your career, including:
- A professional, in-person internship in a business or technology field
- Career advancement training focused on developing 8 key competencies desired by employers
- Our Keynote Speaker Series of exclusive live Q&A sessions with experts and industry leaders
- Coordination with your International Student and Scholar Support office
- Live personal support throughout the program, including placement counseling, resume and cover letter guidance, free & confidential access to mental health services provided by licensed professionals, and a session with a professional career coach after your internship is complete
Choose to live and intern in one of these high energy, career-advancing locations:
- Boston, MA
- Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles, CA
- New York City, NY
- Washington, D.C.
Who Should Apply
Anyone who wants to advance their academic and career goals. A U.S. internship is great for international students with F-1 visa status who are also eligible to participate in either Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Critical Practical Training (CPT). Check with your university’s International Student and Scholar Support office to see if you are eligible to participate in one of these training programs
Program Dates and Length
You choose when you want to start
, the hours you can commit (20 to 40 per week), and the length of your internship (6 to 24 weeks). While you are welcome to apply at any time, for the best experience we recommend starting the process at least 3 months in advance of your desired start date. Also, remember to check with your international student and scholar services office for any immigration related paperwork deadlines. Please note, in-person program dates and lengths vary by location.
Application and Internship Placement Process
- Apply - Fill out our short application form, attach your resume/CV, and schedule an online interview with our Admissions team. Applying is fast and free.
- Connect with The Intern Group's Admissions Team - Similar to an advising session, we will discuss your internship and career goals, and the program structure that best suits your professional and personal needs. Be prepared to talk about your background and goals. During this process we will review your application and determine your eligibility to participate in the program.
- Receive your decision - Within 1-3 days, we will send you our admissions decision. If you are accepted into the program, you can confirm your enrollment by submitting a deposit toward the program fee.
- Begin the Internship Placement Process - Once you are enrolled in the program, our placement team will create a professional profile for you and share it among our network of host organizations to find an internship opportunity that matches your goals. You will then have an interview with the host organization to ensure that it is a good match, and you also will begin the visa process if necessary.
Note that participation in our programs has a fee
, and that host companies may offer either paid or unpaid internships. Whether you can be paid for the internship depends on your immigration status and other factors.
Financial Aid and Discounts
Financial aid is available for many students. Speak with a TIG admissions officer to see if you qualify.
A Student's Perspective
"This Internship experience [in New York] exceeded my expectations. I could work at a wonderful company and learn so many valuable experiences including practical skills and networking. I strongly believe that this two months internship was one of the most important and precious experiences for me. The Intern Group supported the whole process carefully from the beginning to the end. I will recommend this program to other people who need an internship opportunity." Younhyung L., Business student